Welcome to another freezing Friday in Chicago. I work 4 blocks from home, and still – the commute dread is REAL. My California blood ain’t made for this arctic weather.
But I know too well that complaining about the cold only makes it worse. So I turn to steamy eats and drinks to warm me up and improve my mood on these gloomy days when I have the shivers from my head to my toes. Healthifed comfort food to the rescue! I also wear an obnoxiously fuzzy scarf and fleece lined leggings just about every day 😉
Below are some of my favorite ways to nourish myself and defeat cope with arctic winter temperatures!
10 Things to Eat & Drink When It’s Literally 10 Degrees Outside
- Broth-based Soup – Literally just warm broth with any leftover roasted or sauteed veggies and a handful of greens at the end. Add brown rice, quinoa or lentils for a heartier meal. P.S. – wild mushrooms are awesome for adrenal health =) I included a list of my favorite soup ingredients below =)
- Oatmeal with Sauteed Fruit – soak your oats overnight for faster cooking!
- Warm, Hearty Bread – the ultimate comfort food!
- Ramen – with lots of veggies and a soft cooked egg
- Indian Food – not only is the food hot, but the spices are warming!
- Herbal Tea (Rooibos, Lavender, Dandelion, Peppermint, etc.)
- Homemade Chai – worth the effort!
- Caramel Maca Latte – great for sex-drive too!
- Apple Rooibos Latte – a personal favorite!
- Hot Chocolate – because, DUH
Fresh, grated ginger
Arugula or kale
Coconut cream or cashew cream